Importance of a Mouth Guard
Many kids and teenagers don't realize the importance of using a mouth guard while participating in sports. In their minds, "mouth guards are stupid", right? Mouth guards aren't only important for young children or teens, they are just as important for adults. Here are some reasons mouth guards are essential.
- It protects your teeth, cheeks, mouth, tongue, and jaw from injury. Although a mouth guard is made of plastic or laminate materials, it can prevent over 200,000 oral injuries every year.
- Injuries to the mouth or jaw can be expensive and very painful. Possible injuries include; broken or chipped teeth, biting the cheeks or lips, root damage, fractured jaw, and concussions. Many of these can be prevented by the use of a mouth guard.
- Mouth guards don't have to empty the bank account. There are essentially three options when it comes to mouth guards.
- Stock Mouth Guards. These are a "one size fits all". The biggest issue we find with this type of guard is that it doesn't fit well for everyone, and is not made to be adjusted to fit. Patients have complained that the stock guards are extremely bulky and tend to make hard or heavy breathing during game time difficult. They are very inexpensive, and can be picked up at any sporting goods store.
- Boil and Bite Mouth Guards. These are a step up from the stock guards we talked about. With this type of guard, it requires you to boil the plastic material for a certain amount of time, then bite into it to give it a more customized fit. They are also inexpensive and can be molded in the comfort of your own home. The down side to this type of guard, is it also doesn't fit every person correctly. It tends to be bulky in the mouth, but is more comfortable to wear than a stock mouth guard.
- Custom Fit Mouth Guards. This is a guard that we make in our office for you. We take dental impressions of your teeth, pour up this impression in dental stone, and then mold the plastic material to it. This type of mouth guard is much more comfortable to wear and will also protect your overall mouth better because it is molded specifically for you.
Here at Davis Dental, we want to help you protect your smile for many years to come! Come in and see us for a custom mouth guard or for any of your other dental needs. We would love to give you the best dental experience you've ever had. We look forward to meeting you!
Contact us at: (801)292-5812 or visit our website at: www.davisdentalutah.com
Information gathered from colgate.com